Skip to main content

Familiar Faces

Ever thought about the characters you liked? Not just like – but Like?
So many of my favorite books, when subjected to a microscope, have very few characters to Like. The books are enjoyable because they involve specific people doing specific things in a specific world at a specific time. The book’s flavor, scenery, dialogue, and the artfulness of the writing combine and contribute to its being beloved. But however much I love Mrs. Dalloway, I think Clarissa is too…Clarissa to truly Like her. Virginia Woolf's books are prized for their phrases, for her shimmering technique, but I don't particularly care about Mrs. Dalloway, or Mrs. Ramsay, or Lily Briscoe.

There are characters which are likeable: Charles Ryder from Brideshead Revisited, Elizabeth Bennett from Pride & Prejudice, Mercutio from Romeo and Juliet, etc; but we are expected to like them. I feel too strongly led to believe I am acting of my own inclination. For example, one cannot escape the feeling that Liking Harry Potter or Ron or Hermione as characters is lame because one naturally likes them. They are likeable. We see ourselves reflected in them, and they are our friends as well as each other’s. Of course, I can’t help but admit that I happen to Like several characters that I find kinship with. So perhaps it’s entirely arbitrary - but here’s a list anyway. (I love lists.)

Cassandra Mortmain – I Capture the Castle



Odysseus - Odyssey
Hector - Iliad (ironic, these first two)
Earl of Kent – King Lear
Viola – Twelfth Night
Sunny Baudelaire – Series of Unfortunate Events



Marianne Dashwood – Sense & Sensibility
Emma Woodhouse - Emma
Isabel Archer – Portrait of a Lady
Dorothea Brooke - Middlemarch
Provincial Lady – Diary of a Provincial Lady
Edmund Pevensie – Chronicles of Narnia
Winnie the Pooh (and also Eeyore)



Peter Pan
Moomintroll – Moomin books
Mole (also Toad) – Wind in the Willows
Dumbledore and Sirius Black – Harry Potter



Oscar Wilde in any incarnation in his works (eg. anything played by Rupert Everett in the film versions)
Mary Katherine Blackwood – We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Ralph – Lord of the Flies (who doesn't love how he stands on his head when he's happy?)
Guinevere Pettigrew – Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day

And I'm sure there are much more that should be on this list and I've forgotten them. I'm sure they'll pop their heads in from time to time.

Comments

Ian Woolcott said…
Cynthia Ozick from Quarrel and Quandary:

"Imaginary people can, often enough, claim a greater reality than, for instance, our relatives... We, whatever our current station on the span of three-score-and-ten, are ephemeral. Only make-believe people can endure for long; and some, like Hamlet, are permanent - at least until the sun burns out."

Popular posts from this blog

The Private Life of the Diary

I’ve kept a diary since I was twelve. While I composed nearly illegible autobiographical scratchings in my first years of primary school at my teachers’ request, it wasn’t until I was on the brink of becoming a teenager that I felt I needed a more permanent arrangement. I suspect it had to do with reading The Diary of Anne Frank. My diary’s function has changed over the years – it once had a name (having discovered that Zoe was the Greek word for life, I thought my choice extremely clever), and I used to like my diaries in a variety of shapes and sizes, spangled with glitter, ruled with wide lines, shackled with locks and keys. For at least eight years my diary was the space in which to vent my feelings, and offered some form of therapeutic comfort. This meant it was largely about boys and is, as a result, very tedious to reread. But while the function of my journal has changed, each volume has been a solution to the manic desire to scribble. As I discovered reading Anne Frank, each e…

The Short Story Season I

The New Yorker Fiction podcast, which I’ve now gobbled up in its entirety, has recently been a lifeline while I’ve been travelling from house to house, city to city. It’s been responsible for kick-starting my renewed interest in the short story – more to come – and for introducing me to writers I’ve long known by name but never read: like Elizabeth Taylor.

Paul Theroux read Taylor’s ‘The Letter Writers’ this past January for the podcast and the story remains one of her best, alongside (and forgive the list) stories such as ‘Taking Mother Out’, ‘Swan-Moving’, ‘A Sad Garden’, ‘The Ambush’, ‘The True Primitive’, ‘The Little Girl’, ‘Hare Park’, ‘The Prerogative of Love’, and ‘The Thames Spread Out’. Travelling with the hefty paperback on planes, trains, and automobiles, I feel I’ve dragged round my little plot of England to keep me company.

(A quick note on editions: an NYRB edition of her stories has just been published but it is a selection, rather than Virago’s Complete Stories. Forgo t…

Blast-beruffled plumes

I’ve returned to Minnesota to find it transformed into a Brueghel painting.



Our hunters are gone north or even south, wherever there are more deer. This has been a bad year for deer, threatened by the cold of last year’s polar vortex and the high population of coyotes, which now carry a bounty on their heads.

So, while it’s still autumn in England (I’ve been assured), winter has come. The nights are long, the wreaths are out. I’ve been reading restlessly – Robert Walser and GB Shaw. But some nights, Thomas Hardy feels just right for November melancholia. Here’s ‘A Darkling Thrush’:

I leant upon a coppice gate
When Frost was spectre-grey,
And Winter's dregs made desolate
The weakening eye of day.
The tangled bine-stems scored the sky
Like strings of broken lyres,
And all mankind that haunted nigh
Had sought their household fires.

The land's sharp features seemed to be
The Century's corpse outleant,
His crypt the cloudy canopy,
Th…