Skip to main content

Climb Every Mountain


I picked up Francois Augieras’s Journey to Mount Athos because of its Greek monastic location and luxurious writing. And also it’s purple cover.

A man awakens, dead, and though a woman in a Greek forest offers to “make him a child” (reincarnate him), he decides to take the boat to the Land of Souls, the Holy Mountain, Mount Athos. He is allowed, by writ, to live on the mountain forever, and he can hardly believe his luck. He journeys from monastery to monastery, enjoying whatever hospitality the monks spare him, being nibbled on and willingly sexually used by voracious monks, finding more sexual experiences with young lovers from his previous lives, and eventually trying to attain a Nirvana, an AWAKENING (in annoyingly emphatic capital letters), with a second death.

I was disappointed. I found that, though the writing was sensuous and ornate, it felt repetitive, vague, and frustratingly double-minded. I lost count of how many times the narrator mentions the aromas of “resin,” the faerie-like moonlight, the magic of the sea. Too many bulls, snakes, mad monks. Too much about soft and supple hips. Long paragraphs about trying to achieve the AWAKENING by playing instruments in the polar moonlight.

I was interested in Orthodox theology and was hoping there’d be more of that. It ended up being a muddled combination of DIY Christianity and Zen. The ecstatic writing seemed less like the earthly affirmations I’ve come to appreciate about Orthodoxy, and emphasized a body-soul split, seeking the ultimate escape from the world.

The narrator was a man who longed to escape to the mountain of men, where there are no women, is in fact a paradise where a man can be his own woman. He was frustratingly passive in his acceptance of being, of claiming identity, and of experiencing rape. For all of his eating others’ food, drinking others’ raki and coffee, and laying in their beds, it seemed like he rarely found or extended his own hospitality. He despises the common hermits in their caves and leaves them to uncertain futures. His own calling – to his master, to the peak – is more important.

I am indignant to know that it is still impossible for me as a woman to visit Mount Athos, which has not housed women for a thousand years – save refugees during the Second World War – and will still not permit female visitors. This reminds me of my own bar to conversion to the Eastern Orthodox Christian faith, the inability for women to become priests.

I suppose much of my censure of A Journey to Mount Athos is ideological, and I’m sure that is bad criticism. But I found his writing, however lovely, waffle-y and without much substance.

I look forward to reading a different take on Greek monasteries and will look into Patrick Leigh Fermor’s A Time of Silence.

Comments

Ian Wolcott said…
How bizarre. I’m Orthodox, though I’m sure I’m not a very good representative of the Church’s position on anything at all. There’s a lot to appreciate and a lot to be frustrated by. It’s a very long story.

Popular posts from this blog

The Private Life of the Diary

I’ve kept a diary since I was twelve. While I composed nearly illegible autobiographical scratchings in my first years of primary school at my teachers’ request, it wasn’t until I was on the brink of becoming a teenager that I felt I needed a more permanent arrangement. I suspect it had to do with reading The Diary of Anne Frank. My diary’s function has changed over the years – it once had a name (having discovered that Zoe was the Greek word for life, I thought my choice extremely clever), and I used to like my diaries in a variety of shapes and sizes, spangled with glitter, ruled with wide lines, shackled with locks and keys. For at least eight years my diary was the space in which to vent my feelings, and offered some form of therapeutic comfort. This meant it was largely about boys and is, as a result, very tedious to reread. But while the function of my journal has changed, each volume has been a solution to the manic desire to scribble. As I discovered reading Anne Frank, each e…

The Short Story Season I

The New Yorker Fiction podcast, which I’ve now gobbled up in its entirety, has recently been a lifeline while I’ve been travelling from house to house, city to city. It’s been responsible for kick-starting my renewed interest in the short story – more to come – and for introducing me to writers I’ve long known by name but never read: like Elizabeth Taylor.

Paul Theroux read Taylor’s ‘The Letter Writers’ this past January for the podcast and the story remains one of her best, alongside (and forgive the list) stories such as ‘Taking Mother Out’, ‘Swan-Moving’, ‘A Sad Garden’, ‘The Ambush’, ‘The True Primitive’, ‘The Little Girl’, ‘Hare Park’, ‘The Prerogative of Love’, and ‘The Thames Spread Out’. Travelling with the hefty paperback on planes, trains, and automobiles, I feel I’ve dragged round my little plot of England to keep me company.

(A quick note on editions: an NYRB edition of her stories has just been published but it is a selection, rather than Virago’s Complete Stories. Forgo t…

Blast-beruffled plumes

I’ve returned to Minnesota to find it transformed into a Brueghel painting.



Our hunters are gone north or even south, wherever there are more deer. This has been a bad year for deer, threatened by the cold of last year’s polar vortex and the high population of coyotes, which now carry a bounty on their heads.

So, while it’s still autumn in England (I’ve been assured), winter has come. The nights are long, the wreaths are out. I’ve been reading restlessly – Robert Walser and GB Shaw. But some nights, Thomas Hardy feels just right for November melancholia. Here’s ‘A Darkling Thrush’:

I leant upon a coppice gate
When Frost was spectre-grey,
And Winter's dregs made desolate
The weakening eye of day.
The tangled bine-stems scored the sky
Like strings of broken lyres,
And all mankind that haunted nigh
Had sought their household fires.

The land's sharp features seemed to be
The Century's corpse outleant,
His crypt the cloudy canopy,
Th…