Skip to main content

Climb Every Mountain


I picked up Francois Augieras’s Journey to Mount Athos because of its Greek monastic location and luxurious writing. And also it’s purple cover.

A man awakens, dead, and though a woman in a Greek forest offers to “make him a child” (reincarnate him), he decides to take the boat to the Land of Souls, the Holy Mountain, Mount Athos. He is allowed, by writ, to live on the mountain forever, and he can hardly believe his luck. He journeys from monastery to monastery, enjoying whatever hospitality the monks spare him, being nibbled on and willingly sexually used by voracious monks, finding more sexual experiences with young lovers from his previous lives, and eventually trying to attain a Nirvana, an AWAKENING (in annoyingly emphatic capital letters), with a second death.

I was disappointed. I found that, though the writing was sensuous and ornate, it felt repetitive, vague, and frustratingly double-minded. I lost count of how many times the narrator mentions the aromas of “resin,” the faerie-like moonlight, the magic of the sea. Too many bulls, snakes, mad monks. Too much about soft and supple hips. Long paragraphs about trying to achieve the AWAKENING by playing instruments in the polar moonlight.

I was interested in Orthodox theology and was hoping there’d be more of that. It ended up being a muddled combination of DIY Christianity and Zen. The ecstatic writing seemed less like the earthly affirmations I’ve come to appreciate about Orthodoxy, and emphasized a body-soul split, seeking the ultimate escape from the world.

The narrator was a man who longed to escape to the mountain of men, where there are no women, is in fact a paradise where a man can be his own woman. He was frustratingly passive in his acceptance of being, of claiming identity, and of experiencing rape. For all of his eating others’ food, drinking others’ raki and coffee, and laying in their beds, it seemed like he rarely found or extended his own hospitality. He despises the common hermits in their caves and leaves them to uncertain futures. His own calling – to his master, to the peak – is more important.

I am indignant to know that it is still impossible for me as a woman to visit Mount Athos, which has not housed women for a thousand years – save refugees during the Second World War – and will still not permit female visitors. This reminds me of my own bar to conversion to the Eastern Orthodox Christian faith, the inability for women to become priests.

I suppose much of my censure of A Journey to Mount Athos is ideological, and I’m sure that is bad criticism. But I found his writing, however lovely, waffle-y and without much substance.

I look forward to reading a different take on Greek monasteries and will look into Patrick Leigh Fermor’s A Time of Silence.

Comments

Ian Wolcott said…
How bizarre. I’m Orthodox, though I’m sure I’m not a very good representative of the Church’s position on anything at all. There’s a lot to appreciate and a lot to be frustrated by. It’s a very long story.

Popular posts from this blog

The School of Hard Knocks

It is my current hope to go to graduate school for English literature next year: a certain school in a certain place, both a goal and an insurmountable challenge. Having been out of college for a year already, and having graduated as a music major, I am rusty. Trying to compensate, I googled “books every english major has read” but have had a difficult time finding a list that suggests what every (generalized) English major should have read by the time of (undergraduate) graduation. As a person who attended a high school whose meager syllabus prescribed the study of one novel, one play and four poems a year, and who could only scrape enough college literature credits for a minor, I feel woefully behind. Most American kids got a head start in AP English (seriously – who are those freaks who read Ulysses in high school?). American high schools may have their weaknesses, but a strong and ambitious push to read literature consistently is not one of them. There are gaps, and I fear that wh...

Natural Love

We sadly miss the beauty and silliness of medieval cosmology: “The sun, moon, and stars go still round…for love of perfection. This love is manifest, I say, in inanimate creatures. How comes a loadstone to drawn iron to it? jet chaff? The ground to covet showers, but for love? No creature, St. Hierome concludes, is to be found…[that does not love something], no stock, no stone, that hath not some feeling of love. ‘Tis more eminent in plants, herbs, and is especially observed in vegetals…the olive and the myrtle embrace each other in roots and branches if they grow near…” Robert Burton, Anatomy of Melancholy .

Once on this island

Island literature is so wonderfully stagey. Like the murder in the English village, the island is a self-contained playground for certain fantasies to run wild, and for certain conceits to be explored. I wonder who first discovered the island as the fertile ground to explore themes of civilization and degeneration? For characters to perform as a microcosm (a word I learned when reading Lord of the Flies ) for society. I traced my way to The Island of Dr. Moreau backwards: from LOST , to Bioy Casares’ Invention of Morel , to a lecture on mad doctors and vivisection (from which I learned the term apophane , or, cutting the vocal chords of an animal so that the vivisector will not be bothered by the sounds of pain by the subject under the knife), to a Penguin Classic picked up in George’s best used bookstore. It was an unnerving and unsafe read: chanting beast-people and scientists with questionable ethics are the only companions this narrator can expect to have on a mysterious island af...