Skip to main content

Nous Theatre Proudly Presents



“In every corner of being myself there is a little of you left and now I must start to lose it.”

A white librarian and a coloured schoolteacher in South Africa in the 1960s discover their love is easily fractured by apartheid.

On a bare stage, the pastiche of conversations and monologues mirrors the changeability of human connection: of suddenly discovered sympathies and the chasms created by misunderstanding and shame. Fugard’s play shows the painful truth that apartheid’s most exacting humiliation was the stripping of dignity and selfhood. In sparse, resonant language the truth is clear: there can be no intimacy where there is no equality.

Tonight – after weeks of planning and fretting – is the opening night of Nous Theatre’s production of Athol Fugard’s Statements Taken After an Arrest Under the Immorality Act! It’s hard to believe somehow it's gone from germinating idea about forming a company to box office tickets already. It's been a privilege.

I’ve seen the play twice through and it’s a gutsy, intimate drama. As Marketing Director, it’s my proud duty to let people know about the play, so if you’re in the Oxford area come see Statements at the Burton Taylor Theatre from Feb 1-5th at 7.30. You really can’t have anything better to do.

Book tickets here

More information at our website and our Facebook page.

You can read Milja Fenger’s (director) interview with Athol Fugard here.

Comments

Annie said…
I hope this goes well for you. I've seen a lot of Fugard's work and have the greatest respect for him as a playwright. I haven't seen this but it sounds as though in terms of presentation it might be similar to the Pinter double bill Landscape and Silence. I'm sure you'll have a resounding success.
Thanks, Annie. I'd love to do a Pinter play! (although I haven't read Landscape or Silence).
Annie said…
Have you thought about 'A Kind of Alaska'? Although you do need a really strong actress to play the Judi Dench role. I had great fun with that one.
kjz said…
How did it go? Sounds interesting!
Blogger said…
I have just downloaded iStripper, and now I can watch the hottest virtual strippers on my desktop.

Popular posts from this blog

The Private Life of the Diary

I’ve kept a diary since I was twelve. While I composed nearly illegible autobiographical scratchings in my first years of primary school at my teachers’ request, it wasn’t until I was on the brink of becoming a teenager that I felt I needed a more permanent arrangement. I suspect it had to do with reading The Diary of Anne Frank. My diary’s function has changed over the years – it once had a name (having discovered that Zoe was the Greek word for life, I thought my choice extremely clever), and I used to like my diaries in a variety of shapes and sizes, spangled with glitter, ruled with wide lines, shackled with locks and keys. For at least eight years my diary was the space in which to vent my feelings, and offered some form of therapeutic comfort. This meant it was largely about boys and is, as a result, very tedious to reread. But while the function of my journal has changed, each volume has been a solution to the manic desire to scribble. As I discovered reading Anne Frank, each e…

Cassandra at the Wedding - Dorothy Baker

The perfect airplane read for a person en route to a wedding, this tautly written 1962 novel about a woman falling apart, coming home to her family’s ranch to derail her twin sister’s wedding. That’s the summary – but obviously it’s about so much more: about the nature of love and obsession, about identity and the self.

Cassandra Edwards, named for the doomed wailer at the gates of Troy, is a student at Berkley, an “Existentialist-Zen-Marxist, Freudian branch. Deviation, rather.” The reader is fully aware from the beginning that Cassandra feels antagonistically about the wedding – she anticipates duties of “tak[ing] over the bouquet while [Judith] received the ring, through the nose or on the finger, wherever she chose to receive it…” She purposefully gets the groom’s name wrong. She plans to stage a “last-minute rescue.”

The isolated family ranch the Edwards family as a self-sufficient unit – emotionally and intellectually. Her alcoholic father, a retired skeptical philosopher who act…

Blast-beruffled plumes

I’ve returned to Minnesota to find it transformed into a Brueghel painting.



Our hunters are gone north or even south, wherever there are more deer. This has been a bad year for deer, threatened by the cold of last year’s polar vortex and the high population of coyotes, which now carry a bounty on their heads.

So, while it’s still autumn in England (I’ve been assured), winter has come. The nights are long, the wreaths are out. I’ve been reading restlessly – Robert Walser and GB Shaw. But some nights, Thomas Hardy feels just right for November melancholia. Here’s ‘A Darkling Thrush’:

I leant upon a coppice gate
When Frost was spectre-grey,
And Winter's dregs made desolate
The weakening eye of day.
The tangled bine-stems scored the sky
Like strings of broken lyres,
And all mankind that haunted nigh
Had sought their household fires.

The land's sharp features seemed to be
The Century's corpse outleant,
His crypt the cloudy canopy,
Th…