Skip to main content

New Destinations, Old Friends

Tonight I took a bus downtown to see philosopher/writer Alain de Botton at the central branch of the Seattle Public Library, talking about his new book the Pleasures and Sorrows of Work. As a new work person in the whole work world, I was interested in his philosophical thoughts about the concept of work and why and how we do what we do.

Getting to my stop quite early, I had the chance to discover a new bookshop downtown. Arundel is a bookish bookshop, the sort that Belle from Beauty and the Beast would frolic in with a set of lovely but fearful stairs curling up to a loft in a spiral (I thought I might fall off, or my skirt would fly up.)




Very tall shelves, little nooks, dust jackets, the smell of old spines, the books priced a little higher than I would have anticipated, but the ambience was worth it. Nearly late for the reading, I dashed up the very steep four blocks to the library, which is a very impressive and sterile and ugly example of Scandinavian-chic (in my uneducated opinion).



I arrived just in time and sat down all fluttery from the exertion (how unfit I am) wishing I had had more time in Arundel, thinking I will have to go back soon and wondering how on earth to pronounce the author’s name. Apparently no one else knew either, but they all gave it varying amounts of French accent.

The lecture was fantastic. De Botton was erudite and interesting, and he very keenly demonstrated his own curiosity with the world, whether it concerned philosophy, religion, literature, or how tuna is distributed and consumed in Great Britain. He talked about the recent social stress on the importance of being happy in one’s profession (as opposed to Aristotle’s concept of a wage conferring slavery upon one), about how little we know about each other’s work habits, though it’s what we spend most of our time doing, and how we continue to treat our work as a drudge and not a fascinating topic of discussion. I can’t wait to pick up a copy of his book.




I lined up after the lecture to have my copy of the Art of Travel autographed. In the awkward absence of natural conversation, I burst out that I read the Art of Travel when I was travelling home this past January and somehow everything I read about popped up in my surroundings, and I happened to read the chapter about Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport when I was at Schiphol, all the way down to the precise gate (F4). He nodded with reserved encouragement and I took this to mean that he had absolutely no idea what he had written in this chapter about Schiphol and how much he kindly wished that I would just thank him and move politely on towards the exit.

Regardless, I am home to drink my nightly cup of coffee and enjoy my days not working.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’ve a short story in the latest edition of The Stinging Fly , which is a brilliant Irish literary journal. If you’d like a copy (or if you like Claire-Louise Bennett or Kevin Barry or Danielle McLaughlin or Colin Barrett, who’ve all been published by SF ) you can get it here Or, you know, go to Dublin.
There’s a sudden late surge of warmth in the rough winds today and it’s the perfect day to read one of John Clare’s best sonnets: November Sybil of months & worshipper of winds I love thee rude & boisterous as thou art & scraps of joy my wandering ever finds Mid thy uproarious madness – when the start Of sudden tempests stir the forrest leaves Into hoarse fury till the shower set free Still the hugh swells & ebb the mighty heaves That swing the forrest like a troubled sea I love the wizard noise & rave in turn Half vacant thoughts & self imagined rhymes Then hide me from the shower a short sojourn Neath ivied oak & mutter to the winds Wishing their melody belonged to me That I might breath a living song to thee

Monologuing

My previous experience of Rachel Cusk is restricted to her travel book on Italy, The Last Supper , which was withdrawn in Britain because of objections from individuals who found themselves featured, unflatteringly, within its pages. It's very difficult not to write a book about Italy without being smug. Then I read reviews (especially hatchet jobs) about her controversial divorce memoir, Aftermath . I confess I’m suspicious when a writer writes memoir after memoir, as if his own life is the only field of interest. I read memoirs – I am moved by the familiar voice – but I’m wary of their cultural predominance. Self-knowledge is a good springboard for knowledge of others. Orbiting one’s own life without ever calling into question the limitation of it seems myopic. (This, however, is not to say that personal writing can be divorced from art, or that it should be.) But Outline is an expose of how fascinating and selfish and dreary and inescapable monologues on the self can be. The