Skip to main content

The Puppetmaster


I picked up Iris Murdoch’s A Fairly Honourable Defeat two weeks ago on the way to the Symphony because it fit in my purse, I’d been meaning to read it, and it was much lighter (physically, topically) than A.N. Wilson’s Victorians.

In the novel, Murdoch creates a closely connected cast of characters who are destined to become even more entangled as the drama ensues. Rupert and Hilda have just celebrated their wedding anniversary; Hilda’s sister Morgan is coming back from the States in a fragile emotional state following the dissolution of her marriage with Tallis and her affair with a scientist, Julius King. Peter, son of Rupert and Hilda, is a college dropout living with Tallis. Simon, Rupert’s younger brother, lives with an older man (and Rupert’s colleague), Axel. When Machiavellian Julius arrives in town and, certain of his power to disprove Rupert’s theory of goodness and love as moral absolutes, decides to play puppet master with the people around him, confusion follows.

It was an absolute page-turner, but not without a beauty of phrase, fiendish plot construction, and the posing of serious ethical questions. I recommend anything she’s written, but found this better than Jackson’s Dilemma (her last novel, generally acknowledged to be average) and tighter than the Green Knight.

Iris Murdoch works on my mind the way that A.S. Byatt does, though differently. They are both intellectuals, both academics, but Byatt is clearly a student of literature and Murdoch a student of logic and philosophy. Both are fearless plumbers of human consciousness and sharp thinkers, with the ability to make me very nervous about my own intellectual abilities.

In Murdoch’s novels, the worst that can be said about one is that one is “muddled.” The biggest sins belong to those who are convinced of their intellectual superiority, but in life are resigned to petty sentimentalism, dramatics, and shoddy dabbling in various occupations.

This causes me to fly everywhere at once thinking “She’s right; muddling about is awful; sloppy thinking and poor reasoning is awful” and then start thinking that I should clean the house again, and practice the piano for two hours, balance my checkbook, work on something concrete like languages or trying to read philosophy – and then I realize that what I am doing is muddled. It’s a conundrum. Best to just get on with living.

[I am so angry that this title was dropped from the Lost Booker Shortlist. Furious. Muriel Spark will have to get my vote.]

The letters of Iris Murdoch are being published later this year and I can’t wait to get my hands on them. For one, I would like to access her thoughts more directly and two, I have a sudden mania for reading letters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’ve a short story in the latest edition of The Stinging Fly , which is a brilliant Irish literary journal. If you’d like a copy (or if you like Claire-Louise Bennett or Kevin Barry or Danielle McLaughlin or Colin Barrett, who’ve all been published by SF ) you can get it here Or, you know, go to Dublin.
There’s a sudden late surge of warmth in the rough winds today and it’s the perfect day to read one of John Clare’s best sonnets: November Sybil of months & worshipper of winds I love thee rude & boisterous as thou art & scraps of joy my wandering ever finds Mid thy uproarious madness – when the start Of sudden tempests stir the forrest leaves Into hoarse fury till the shower set free Still the hugh swells & ebb the mighty heaves That swing the forrest like a troubled sea I love the wizard noise & rave in turn Half vacant thoughts & self imagined rhymes Then hide me from the shower a short sojourn Neath ivied oak & mutter to the winds Wishing their melody belonged to me That I might breath a living song to thee

Monologuing

My previous experience of Rachel Cusk is restricted to her travel book on Italy, The Last Supper , which was withdrawn in Britain because of objections from individuals who found themselves featured, unflatteringly, within its pages. It's very difficult not to write a book about Italy without being smug. Then I read reviews (especially hatchet jobs) about her controversial divorce memoir, Aftermath . I confess I’m suspicious when a writer writes memoir after memoir, as if his own life is the only field of interest. I read memoirs – I am moved by the familiar voice – but I’m wary of their cultural predominance. Self-knowledge is a good springboard for knowledge of others. Orbiting one’s own life without ever calling into question the limitation of it seems myopic. (This, however, is not to say that personal writing can be divorced from art, or that it should be.) But Outline is an expose of how fascinating and selfish and dreary and inescapable monologues on the self can be. The