Skip to main content

Aprille, with hise shoures soote


Yesterday I decided that nothing less than chocolate chip cookies and W.H. Auden's Collected Poems (to be enjoyed separately) would do.

It's funny to think how few people, Americans at least, read alternative literary forms like poetry or plays or even short stories. I suppose there is something about the generosity of a novel which grabs the attention, invites involvement and requires time and commitment. The time and commitment required by poetry is less popular, and I'll admit to a certain toe-dragging reluctance when it comes to chewing on a book of poetry.

I end up using a book of poetry as a Sortes Virgilianae, the classical lottery practiced by flipping through Virgil's Aeneid at random and reading your future in whichever random paragraph you land on. A bad habit, I will flip through the poems until something catches my eye or seems to fit the moment.

However, I think reading good, sharp poetry and plays can only do good for one's writing. The articulacy required by drama combined with the poetic focus on the sensuous, or at least the artistic. It is a joining of aesthetics with characterization and exaction, and this combination can only make one think very carefully about language and its specifics.

But poetry is more than an intellectual pay-off, more than a food to be mashed up, recycled and put immediately to use. It is - I think - chiefly about pleasure. The pleasure of a well-tuned phrase, a cleverly articulated idea or form, or pure aural languor. It is, says the doomed poet John Keats in Jane Campion's recent film Bright Star, like diving into a lake. The point of diving into a lake is not to swim to the other side, but to be in the water.

So, since April is poetry month (breeding/ Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing/ memory and desire...) it is my goal to read as much poetry as I can during the month. I have so much sitting on my shelves - beautiful WASP-y Anne Sexton and sensual, fruity Pablo Neruda and crisp, autumnal Philip Larkin and bubbling, sibilant e. e. cummings and perhaps even Paradise Lost - to read.

I will also make an effort to memorize poetry. So far I've tried Yeats' Leda and the Swan and Donne's holy sonnet, At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners, and stray lines crop up in brain while I'm walking to the grocery store - A sudden blow: the great wings beating still...and Arise/ From death, you numberless infinities...

As I sat on the 71 bus to 65th and 25th, I clutched Auden in my hands and set the plate of napkin covered cookies on my lap. As I stood to disembark and walked to the doors, I noticed the warm, familiar smell of childhood and chocolate-chips spreading out around me. The words followed.

Comments

Ian Wolcott said…
Had you seen my recent post on the Virgilian Lots? If not, I'm going to be amazed, since this makes the third mention of it I've come across in the past week.

I admit to being one of those who don't read poetry as often as I should. Presently, however, I'm enjoying William Cowper's 'The Task'. His languid descriptions of the English countryside are seasonally appropriate - though geophrically inappropriate (for me, at least).

Popular posts from this blog

The School of Hard Knocks

It is my current hope to go to graduate school for English literature next year: a certain school in a certain place, both a goal and an insurmountable challenge. Having been out of college for a year already, and having graduated as a music major, I am rusty. Trying to compensate, I googled “books every english major has read” but have had a difficult time finding a list that suggests what every (generalized) English major should have read by the time of (undergraduate) graduation. As a person who attended a high school whose meager syllabus prescribed the study of one novel, one play and four poems a year, and who could only scrape enough college literature credits for a minor, I feel woefully behind. Most American kids got a head start in AP English (seriously – who are those freaks who read Ulysses in high school?). American high schools may have their weaknesses, but a strong and ambitious push to read literature consistently is not one of them. There are gaps, and I fear that wh...

Natural Love

We sadly miss the beauty and silliness of medieval cosmology: “The sun, moon, and stars go still round…for love of perfection. This love is manifest, I say, in inanimate creatures. How comes a loadstone to drawn iron to it? jet chaff? The ground to covet showers, but for love? No creature, St. Hierome concludes, is to be found…[that does not love something], no stock, no stone, that hath not some feeling of love. ‘Tis more eminent in plants, herbs, and is especially observed in vegetals…the olive and the myrtle embrace each other in roots and branches if they grow near…” Robert Burton, Anatomy of Melancholy .

Once on this island

Island literature is so wonderfully stagey. Like the murder in the English village, the island is a self-contained playground for certain fantasies to run wild, and for certain conceits to be explored. I wonder who first discovered the island as the fertile ground to explore themes of civilization and degeneration? For characters to perform as a microcosm (a word I learned when reading Lord of the Flies ) for society. I traced my way to The Island of Dr. Moreau backwards: from LOST , to Bioy Casares’ Invention of Morel , to a lecture on mad doctors and vivisection (from which I learned the term apophane , or, cutting the vocal chords of an animal so that the vivisector will not be bothered by the sounds of pain by the subject under the knife), to a Penguin Classic picked up in George’s best used bookstore. It was an unnerving and unsafe read: chanting beast-people and scientists with questionable ethics are the only companions this narrator can expect to have on a mysterious island af...